State and local law impose certain restrictions and reporting requirements on individuals or entities making contributions to City candidates and on third-parties that spend money to support or oppose a City candidate or measure. Some of these laws may also apply to contributions towards candidates running for county central committee.
The City’s Campaign Finance Reform Ordinance (“CFRO”) is found at Campaign and Governmental Conduct Code section 1.100 et seq.
The Ethics Commission has also promulgated regulations implementing CFRO.
CFRO also incorporates the provisions of the Political Reform Act related in local elections, as well as the implementing regulations promulgated by the Fair Political Practices Commission.
- SFEC Guide for Contributors
- FPPC Manual 5 for Major Donor Committees
- FPPC Manual 6 for Independent Expenditure Committee Guide
- FPPC Fact Sheet on Multipurpose Organizations
- SFEC Fact Sheet on Non-Candidate Spending
Was this page helpful?