This Audit Report summarizes the audit results of the committee, Aaron Peskin for Supervisor 2015, Identification Number 1376394 (“the Committee”), from January 1, 2015 through December 31, 2015. The audit was conducted pursuant to the Commission’s random audit program to determine whether the Committee materially complied with the requirements of the Political Reform Act (“the Act”) (California Government Code section 81000, et seq.) and San Francisco’s Campaign Finance Reform Ordinance (“CFRO”) (San Francisco Campaign and Governmental Conduct Code section 1.100, et seq). Section 1.150(a) of the CFRO requires the Commission to audit all candidates who receive public financing.
II. Audit Authority
San Francisco Charter section C3.699-11 authorizes the Ethics Commission (“the Commission”) to audit campaign statements that are filed with the Commission along with other relevant documents to determine whether the committee complied with applicable requirements of State and local laws.
III. Audit Scope and Procedures
This audit was performed in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards. The audit involved a review of the Committee’s records for the period covered by the audit. This review was conducted to determine:
- Compliance with all disclosure requirements pertaining to contributions, expenditures, accrued expenditures, and loans, including itemization when required;
- Compliance with applicable filing deadlines;
- Compliance with restrictions on contributions, loans, and expenditures;
- Accuracy of total reported receipts, disbursements, and cash balances as compared to bank records; and
- Compliance with all record-keeping requirements.
- Compliance with all provisions related to the Commission’s public financing program; and
- Any unexpended public funds that must be returned to the City up to the amount of public funds received by the candidate.
The Commission posts audit reports to its web site and, in cases of apparent violations of law, forwards them to the appropriate enforcement agency.
IV. Committee Information
The Committee was formed in March 2015 to support the election of Aaron Peskin for Supervisor in District 3 in the November 3, 2015 general election. During the period covered by the audit, the Committee’s Treasurer was Stacy Owens of the Henry Levy Group. At the time of this report, the Committee remains active.
V. Audit Findings
For the period covered by the audit, the Committee received $431,637 in monetary contributions, $516 in non-monetary contributions and $155,000 in public funds and incurred $590,050 in expenditures. The CFRO provides that any candidate who receives public funds must return unexpended campaign funds to the Election Campaign Fund. The Committee does not have any unexpended funds.
The Commission determined that there were no material findings with respect to the audit of the Committee. The Committee substantially complied with the disclosure and record-keeping provisions of the Act and CFRO.