Date: December 20, 2016
Contact: LeeAnn Pelham, Executive Director (415) 252-3100
At its special meeting on December 19, 2016, the San Francisco Ethics Commission (with Commissioner Chiu absent and excused) discussed the following matters and took the following actions:
- Voted 4-0 to approve the draft minutes for its regular meeting of November 28, 2016.
- Received public comment on the Ethics Commission role and ability to affect public policy.
- Discussed and received public comment on the Sunshine Ordinance Task Force.
- Voted 4-0 in favor of Staff’s recommendation to approve the Ethics Commission Regular Meeting Schedule for Calendar Year 2017.
- Voted 2-2 (Renne and Keane voting aye; Hayon and Kopp voting nay) regarding enforcement of the Sunshine Ordinance as recommended by the Sunshine Ordinance Task Force in Ethics Commission Complaint No. 1617-102, Ray Hartz v. Eric Mar. Motion failed.
- Voted 4-0 in favor of Staff’s recommendation for Ethics Commission Complaint Nos. 1516-23 & 1516-24 to send warning letters to Nancy Sarieh & the Sunshine Ordinance Task Force for violating the Sunshine Ordinance.
- Discussed the Staff’s monthly Enforcement Report for December.
- Discussed and received public comment on the monthly Executive Director’s Report for December.
- Received public comment and then voted 4-0 to assert attorney-client privilege and meet in closed session under Charter section C3.699-13, Brown Act section 54956.9 and Sunshine Ordinance section 67.10(d) to discuss anticipated litigation as plaintiff in a matter regarding the prohibition on using funds raised by a candidate-controlled committee for a purpose other than the candidate’s campaign. Resumed in open session and voted 4-4 to publicly announce terms of settlement and then announced that the Commission had approved a settlement in the matter of Stuart Shuffman for Mayor 2015 in the amount of $2,552.00.
- Discussed possible items for future meetings.
- Received additional public comment on matters not appearing on the agenda.
Draft Minutes for the December 19, 2016, Special Meeting will be available upon their completion and will be included on the Agenda for the Commission’s next Regular Meeting. The next Regular Meeting of the Ethics Commission is scheduled for Monday, January 23, 2017 in Room 400 of City Hall at 5:30 pm. For further information, please feel free to contact the Ethics Commission at (415) 252-3100.