Contact: LeeAnn Pelham, Executive Director (415) 252-3100
Subject: Summary of Actions Taken and Matters Discussed at Ethics Commission’s January 19, 2018 Meeting
At its regular meeting on January 19, 2018, the San Francisco Ethics Commission discussed the following matters and took the following actions (with Commissioners Chiu and Lee not attending due to excused absences):
- Discussed and received public comment on matters appearing or not appearing on the agenda.
- After providing the opportunity for public comment, voted unanimously to approve the draft minutes as modified for its December 18, 2017 special meeting.
- After discussion and receiving public comment, voted unanimously to approve the Whistleblower Protection Ordinance as amended provided at Attachment 2 in the Staff’s January 16, 2018 memo, and directed Staff to complete all steps necessary to ensure the ordinance can be scheduled for final action by the Commission at its next regular meeting on February 16, 2018, including possible action to place the ordinance on the June 2018 ballot.
- After discussion and receiving public comment, voted unanimously to adopt revised, consolidated Ethics Commission Enforcement Regulations as outlined in the January 9, 2018 Notice of Proposed Amendment to Enforcement and Sunshine Regulations, by (1) voting to repeal existing Ethics Commission Regulations for Handling Violations of the Sunshine Ordinance (effective 2013) and to replace the Commission’s Enforcement Regulations (effective1997) with the revised, consolidated Enforcement Regulations.
- After discussion and receiving public comment on a January 16, 2018, Staff memorandum proposing a new electronic filing regulation for behested payments reports by Board and Commission members, unanimously approved the regulation as proposed.
- After discussion and receiving public comment on a January 16, 2018, Staff memorandum proposing a regulation to modify electronic filing requirements for certain Statement of Economic Interests (Form 700) filers, unanimously approved the regulation as proposed.
- After discussion and receiving public comment on the Commission’s planned and pending policy projects as detailed in the January 16, 2018, Staff Policy Report, voted unanimously to proceed as outlined in the report, and to proceed with consideration of Item C(3) from Section II at its February meeting.
- Discussed and received public comment on the January 16, 2018, Enforcement Report.
- Discussed and received public comment on the January 16, 2018, Executive Director’s Report.
- Provided the opportunity for public comment then voted unanimously to go into closed session to discuss Agenda Item 11 regarding the status of complaints received or initiated by the Ethics Commission. Once back in open session voted unanimously to not disclose its closed session deliberations.
- Discussed and provided the opportunity for public comment on possible items for future meetings.
- Provided the opportunity for public comment on matters appearing or not appearing on the agenda pursuant to Ethics Commission Bylaws Article VII, Section 2.
- Adjourned at 5:00 p.m.
Draft Minutes for the January 19, 2018, Regular Meeting will be available upon their completion and will be included on the Agenda for the Commission’s next Regular Meeting. The next meeting of the Ethics Commission is scheduled for Friday, February 16, 2018, at 2:00 p.m. in City Hall Room 416. For further information, please feel free to contact the Ethics Commission at (415) 252-3100.