Contact: LeeAnn Pelham, Executive Director (415) 252-3100
Subject: Summary of Actions Taken and Matters Discussed by Ethics Commission at April 20, 2018 Regular Meeting
The Ethics Commission’s Regular Meeting on April 20, 2018 was called to order by Commission Chair Daina Chiu in Room 416 in City Hall at 3:40 pm. In addition to Chair Chiu, Commissioners Quentin Kopp, Yvonne Lee, and Kevin V. Ryan were in attendance and a quorum was present. Commissioner Paul Renne was not present and had an excused absence. The Commission discussed the following matters and took the following actions:
- Took general public comment on matters appearing or not appearing on the meeting agenda under Agenda Item 2.
- Following the Chair’s calling of Agenda Item 3, Commissioner Ryan requested to be recused from consideration and action on the item, citing a campaign contribution he had made prior to becoming a member of the Ethics Commission to the campaign seeking the Commission’s appeal. A motion to recuse Commissioner Ryan from the item was made by Commissioner Kopp and seconded by Commissioner Chiu, and was approved on a 3-0 vote and Commissioner Ryan was excused from the remainder of the meeting and left the room.
- Considered the candidate’s appeal of the Executive Director’s denial of eligibility for public financing for the Angela Alioto for Mayor 2018 committee. The Commission:
- Heard a presentation by the Executive Director summarizing the analysis of requirements and timeframes established in the law for the public financing program as explained in the April 16, 2018 Staff memo and attachments.
- Heard a response from Ms. Sandra Ribera-Speed, representing the Angela Alioto for Mayor 2018 committee (the “Committee”), reviewing the Committee’s basis for seeking an appeal as discussed in the Committee’s attachments to the agenda item.
- Took public comment on the item.
- After further extensive discussion, voted 3-0 to approve a motion made by Commissioner Lee and seconded by Commissioner Chiu to (1) vacate the Executive Director’s prior determination; (2) allow the Committee to include any qualifying contributions it may have received on March 27, 2018 as part of its qualifying request; (3) allow the Committee to submit additional supporting documentation in support of its prior qualifying request no later than 12:00 pm on Wednesday, April 25, 2018; (4) direct the Executive Director to review that documentation and, based on that analysis, notify the Committee of its eligibility for public financing no later than 12:00 pm on Wednesday, May 2, 2018; and (5) establish that the Executive Director’s May 2 decision will be the agency’s final determination, and that no further appeal of the matter will be heard by the Commission.
- Under Agenda Item 4, provided additional opportunity for public comment on matters appearing or not appearing on the agenda pursuant to Ethics Commission Bylaws Article VII Section 2 and received no further public comment.
- Voted 3-0 to approve a motion to adjourn the meeting made by Commissioner Chiu and adjourned at 5:52 pm.
The next Regular Meeting of the Ethics Commission will take place on Monday, May 7, 2018, in Room 408 of City Hall beginning at 1:00 p.m. Please note the special date, time and location of the May meeting.
Draft Minutes for the Commission’s April 20th meeting will be available upon their completion and will be included on the Agenda for the Commission’s meeting on May 7, 2018. For further information, please feel free to contact the Ethics Commission at (415) 252-3100.