Monday, October 22, 2018
Contact: LeeAnn Pelham (415) 252-3100
- Chair Chiu called the meeting to order at 2:00pm. With Commissioners Chiu, Kopp, Lee, and Renne in attendance, a quorum of members was present. Commissioner Ambrose joined the meeting shortly after it was called to order. Chair Chiu announced she had to leave the meeting at 3:45 and that Vice-Chair Kopp would act as Chair for the remainder of the meeting following her departure.
- Under Item 2, received public comment on matters appearing or not appearing on the agenda.
- Voted 5-0 to approve Item 3, the draft minutes of the Commission’s September 21, 2018 regular meeting.
- Discussed and heard public comment on Item 4, Staff findings and recommendations in connection with the Commission’s Public Financing Review Project. After further discussion, voted unanimously 5-0 to approve a motion by Chair Chiu and seconded by Commissioner Lee to request Staff to draft regulations and ordinance language as recommended for consideration and possible action at the Commission’s November meeting for further consideration and possible action.
- Discussed and received public comment on Item 5, proposed Advice and Opinion Regulations. Chair Chiu left the meeting at approximately 3:45 and Vice-Chair Kopp assumed duties as acting Chair. After further discussion on Item 5, the Commission voted unanimously 4-0 (Chiu absent) to approve a motion by Commissioner Renne and seconded by Commissioner Lee to adopt the proposed Regulations including amending language Commissioners proposed and expressed support for during the discussion.
- Heard a brief Staff presentation and provided the opportunity for public comment on Item 6, the Staff’s monthly Policy Report. No action was taken as the item was for informational purposes only.
- Discussed and heard public comment on Item 7, the Policy Prioritization Plan. After discussion, Vice-Chair Kopp moved and Commissioner Renne seconded a proposal recommended by Commissioner Renne to modify the Commission’s second policy priority to be consideration of a limit on contributions to independent expenditure committees, in place of updating regulations of the Campaign Finance Reform Ordinance (“CFRO”). After further discussion, the Commission voted 2-2 on the motion (Kopp and Renne voting aye, and Ambrose and Lee voting no; Chair Chiu absent). The motion failed due to a lack of three votes.
- Provided the opportunity for public comment on Item 8, the monthly Enforcement Report.
- Discussed and received public comment on Item 9, the Executive Director’s Report for October.
- Provided the opportunity for public comment on Item 10 regarding the status of complaints received or initiated by the Ethics Commission. The Commission had no discussion and took no action on the item.
- Discussed possible items for future meetings under Item 11. No action taken.
- Provided the opportunity for public comment on items not appearing on the Agenda under Item 12.
- Unanimously (4-0; Chiu absent) approved a motion by Commissioner Renne and seconded by Commissioner Ambrose to adjourn the meeting and adjourned at 5:08 pm.
Draft Minutes for the October 19, 2018, regular meeting will be available upon their completion and will be included on the Agenda for the Commission’s next Regular Meeting. The next meeting of the Ethics Commission is scheduled for Friday, November 16, 2018, at 2:00 p.m. in City Hall Room 416. For further information, please feel free to contact the Ethics Commission at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 252-3100.