Monday, November 19, 2018
Contact: Pat Ford (415) 252-3100
- Chair Chiu called the meeting to order at 2:05 pm. With Commissioners Chiu, Kopp, Ambrose, Lee, and Renne in attendance, a quorum of members was present.
- Under Item 2, received public comment on matters appearing or not appearing on the agenda.
- Approved two matters on its Consent Calendar:
- Agenda Item 3 – Draft Minutes for the Ethics Commission’s October 19, 2018 regular meeting.
- Agenda Item 4 – Stipulation, Decision, and Order in the Matter of Mark Leno & Mark Leno for Mayor 2018 (Ethics Commission Case No. 1718-076).
- Discussed and heard public comment on Item 5, draft regulations and ordinance recommendations regarding the Public Financing program.
- Expressed its consensus to continue the discussion of proposed ordinance changes to the December meeting to enable the Commission to further consider potential penalty approaches outlined in Attachment 3 and hold a closed session discussion with counsel to review the proposed amendments to the Campaign Finance Reform Ordinance as reflected in Attachment 2.
- Voted 5-0 to approve a motion by Commissioner Ambrose and seconded by Commissioner Renne to amend a proposed “arbitrary and capricious” standard of review contained in the draft regulations for the Commission to use in considering an appeal of the Executive Director’s determination regarding public financing qualification to provide that the Commission will review questions of law de novo and will defer to the Executive Director’s determination on questions of fact unless the Executive Director’s determination was clearly erroneous.
- Voted 3-2 (Kopp and Ambrose voting in the dissent) to adopt the proposed regulations as amended and forward them to the Board of Supervisors for a 60-day period of reviews as required by San Francisco Charter section 15.102.
- Heard a brief Staff presentation and provided the opportunity for public comment on Item 6, the Staff’s monthly Policy Report. No action was taken as the item was for informational purposes only.
- Heard a brief Staff presentation and provided the opportunity for public comment on Item 7, the Staff’s monthly Enforcement Report. No action was taken as the item was for informational purposes only.
- Discussed and provided the opportunity for public comment on Item 8, the Executive Director’s monthly report. No action was taken as the item was for informational purposes only.
- Provided the opportunity for public comment on Item 9 regarding the status of complaints received or initiated by the Ethics Commission. The Commission had no discussion and took no action on the item.
- Held no discussion on and took no action on Item 10, as that item was placed on the Agenda to allow it to be discussed if any Commissioner had requested to discuss the item, but none had made that request.
- Under Item 11, confirmed its next regular monthly meeting will be held on Friday, December 21, 2018 at 2:00 p.m. as scheduled.
- Provided the opportunity for public comment on items not appearing on the Agenda under Item 12.
- Unanimously (5-0) approved a motion by Vice Chair Kopp and seconded by Commissioner Lee to adjourn the meeting and adjourned at 3:23 pm.
Draft Minutes for the November 16, 2018, regular meeting will be available upon their completion and will be included on the Agenda for the Commission’s next Regular Meeting. The next meeting of the Ethics Commission is scheduled for Friday, December 21, 2018, at 2:00 p.m. in City Hall Room 416. For further information, please feel free to contact the Ethics Commission at email@example.com or (415) 252-3100.