June 14, 2021
Contact: Patrick Ford (415) 252-3100
- Chair Ambrose called the meeting to order at 9:37 am. With Vice Chair Yvonne Lee and Commissioners Daina Chiu, Larry Bush, and James Bell in attendance, a quorum was present.
- Under Item 2, provided the opportunity for public comment on matters appearing or not appearing on the agenda.
- Under Items 3 through 7, discussed the Draft Minutes of the Commission’s May 14, 2021 regular meeting and four stipulations (In the Matter of Matt Haney, Haney for Supervisor 2018, and Stacy Owens (SFEC Complaint No. 1718-088), In the Matter of Rafael Mandelman, Rafael Mandelman for Supervisor 2018, and Stacy Owens (SFEC Complaint No. 1718-139), In the Matter of Ahsha Safai for Supervisor 2020, Ahsha Safai, and Joe Jaber (SFEC Complaint No. 2021-008), and In the Matter of Amy Lee and Mark Luellen (SFEC Complaint No. 2021-014)) and unanimously (5-0) adopted a motion by Commissioner Chiu, seconded by Vice Chair Lee, to approve the five items as presented.
- Under Item 8, heard and discussed the draft Ethics Commission Annual Report for the Fiscal Year ending June 30, 2021.” No action was taken as the item was provided for informational purposes only.
- Under Item 9, heard and discussed Staff presentation on Ethics Commission annual budget as proposed by the Mayor’s Office for FY22 and FY23. No action was taken as the item was provided for informational purposes only.
- Under Item 10, heard and discussed the Staff Enforcement Report. No action was taken as the item was provided for informational purposes only.
- Under Item 11, heard and discussed the Executive Director’s Report. No action was taken as the item was provided for informational purposes only.
- Under Item 14, entered closed session to discuss and take action on probable cause determinations for complaints alleging violations of the Whistleblower Protection Ordinance. Unanimously (5-0) approved a motion by Commissioner Bell and seconded by Commission Chiu to retain the confidentiality of the closed session discussions. Chair Ambrose announced, pursuant to the Sunshine Ordinance, that the Commission voted not to ratify Staff’s first recommended no probable cause determination (4-1, Bell dissenting), and that the Commission voted to ratify Staff’s second recommended no probable cause determination (5-0).
- Did not hear Item 12, possible items for future meetings.
- Under Item 13, provided the opportunity for additional public comment on matters appearing or not appearing on the agenda.
- Under Item 15, adjourned the meeting at 2:00 p.m.
Draft Minutes for the June 11, 2021 Regular Meeting will be available upon their completion and will be included on the Agenda for the Commission’s next Regular Meeting. The next Regular Meeting of the Ethics Commission is scheduled for Friday, July 9, 2021, at 9:30 a.m.
For further information, please contact the Ethics Commission at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 252-3100.
SFGovTV provides a continuous archive of selected Commission, council and board meetings that allows viewers to watch those meetings online in full at the viewer’s convenience. Video, audio, and closed-captioning archives of Ethics Commission meetings may be accessed here.