Skip to content

Request for Advance Written Determination


Under section 3.218 of the San Francisco Campaign and Governmental Conduct Code, each Department, Board, or Commission has adopted a Statement of Incompatible Activities (“SIA”) that lists those outside activities that are inconsistent or incompatible with the duties of the officers and employees of the Department, Board, or Commission. Section III.C of the SIA permits an officer or employee to seek an Advance Written Determination (“AWD”) as to whether a proposed outside activity is prohibited because it is inconsistent or otherwise in conflict with the officer’s or employee’s duties. Each department’s SIA specifies who the decision maker must be for any Advance Written Determination requested by an officer or employee of that department. To obtain an Advance Written Determination, please consult your department’s SIA to see who the decision maker for your AWD is. Fill out Sections A-E of the Request for Advance Written Determination legibly and completely, and submit this form to the decision maker identified in Section C of your SIA. Please note that the decision maker may require you to provide additional information.

An Advance Written Determination by the decision maker that an activity is not incompatible with the SIA provides the requestor with immunity from any subsequent enforcement action for a violation of the SIA, if the material facts are as presented in the requestor’s written submission. An Advance Written Determination does not provide immunity from any other laws that prohibit the proposed activity. At any time, the decision maker may revoke the Advance Written Determination, by providing written notice to you specifying the changed facts, circumstances or other good cause that warrants the revocation.

The requester and decision maker should retain a copy of the Advance Written Determination for their records.

File Request for Advance Written Determination

How and Where to File

  • City employee: Submit completed paper form to your Department head or his or her designee, or as directed in your SIA.
  • Department head: Submit completed paper form to your appointing officer.
  • Appointed member of a City board or commission: Submit completed paper form to your appointing officer, your Board or Commission, or e-file with the Ethics Commission, as directed in section III.C of the SIA.
  • Elected official: E-file the form to the Ethics Commission.


Eligibility to File Electronically

If you are a City employee, department head, or appointed member of a City board or Commission that is filing this form with your appointing officer or Board or Commission, then you must file the paper form with the appropriate decision maker designated in your SIA. You may not use this electronic form.

If you are an elected official or appointed member of a City board or Commission who is filing this form with the Ethics Commission, then you must file electronically by completing the fields below and clicking the “Start Form” button.

Revocation of Determination

Decision-makers can revoke an approved Advanced Written Determination by completing the “Revocation of Determination” form and providing it to the requestor.

We are continuously increasing the number of translated pages on this site. Materials on this website that are not currently translated may be translated upon request. Contact us to provide feedback on this page.

Estamos aumentando continuamente el número de páginas traducidas en este sitio. Los materiales de este sitio web que no están traducidos actualmente pueden traducirse previa solicitud. Contáctenos para proporcionar comentarios sobre esta página o solicitar traducciones.


Patuloy naming dinaragdagan ang bilang ng mga isinalin na pahina sa site na ito. Ang mga materyal sa website na ito na hindi kasalukuyang isinasalin ay maaaring isalin kapag hiniling. Makipag-ugnayan sa amin para magbigay ng feedback sa page na ito o humiling ng mga pagsasalin.